Are you looking for a job as a Ground Segment Engineer or Space Segment Engineer? At Sapienza, we are committed to providing our engineering staff with the job, the environment, the training and the support to grow and reach their full potential.
Discover new opportunities such as payload engineering, EOP engineering and PA engineering vacancies on our jobs website; or send us an open application and be the first to know when a new opportunity comes by that fits you!
About Space Engineering
Space systems are complex pieces of equipment designed to perform specific missions for a specified design life. With a particular focus on quality management aspects that are managed from product specifications, testing and verifications, engineers in this domain are in charge of supporting projects with their technical expertise.
The engineers in this domain have mechanical, electrical and software backgrounds with unique space system experience, whether it be in ground or space segment engineering.
Sapienza ensures that employed engineers maintain a strong knowledge of modern engineering techniques, keeping up to date with innovation in their field and evolving engineering quality standards.
Ground Segment Engineers
Ground stations are at the core of the ground segment and are interconnected through complex infrastructure in a ground station network providing two main functionalities: Telemetry, Tracking and Command (TT&C) in support of spacecraft operations and payload data download. Ground station design enables spacecraft capabilities and fulfills requirements coming directly from the mission design. Ground stations are, therefore, key to the implementation of requirements from ongoing missions but should also be able to expand and adapt, accommodating requirements for future ones.
Ground segment engineering encompasses mechanical, electrical, and software engineering, where engineers in this domain typically are a specialist in one of the above, but also have a good understanding of the other aspects to ensure interoperability between the various components. The tasks of these Engineers often consist in a combination of the following:
- Support to projects development, in terms of definition of technical specifications and statement of work, participation for design review, as well as participation to factory and site acceptance tests
- Monitoring and critical evaluation of activities related to system development
- Engineering maintenance and enhancement of components
- Monitoring procurement activities
Engineering jobs related to the ground segment include:
- Instrument Calibration Engineer
- Satellite and Payload Operations Engineer
- Ground System Engineer
- Ground System Validation Engineer
- Commissioning and Operations Engineer
- ISS Payloads Operations Ground Segment Engineer
- Telecommunications Satellite Ground Segment Engineer
- Performance Simulation Engineer
- Galileo Site Hosting Engineer
Space Segment Engineers
Space segment engineering encompasses all components placed in orbit and beyond, and the equipment used to launch them. This includes the platform, all its subsystems and the relevant payloads. Key to this position segment is an understanding of the effect that the space environment has on the operation and longevity of the components and of the system as a whole.
Space segment engineers are typically mechanical or electrical engineers, and are mainly involved in the assembly, integration, testing and verification (AIV/AIT) of components of systems, including:
- Monitoring the AIT/AIV plans
- Identifying potential risks to the schedule and identifying workaround solutions and risk mitigation actions to be implemented
- Participating in Test Readiness Reviews (TRR), Post Test Reviews (PTR), Test Review Boards (TRB) and Non-Conformance Review Boards (NRB) as a technical representative
- Proposing new methods, technologies and activities to be assessed in the framework of technology programmes in the areas of system verification
Engineering jobs related to the space segment include:
- Space Segment Engineering Coordinator
- Performance Engineer
- Telecommunications Systems Engineer
- Payload Engineer
- Flight Products Engineer
- Telecommunications Satellite Payload Engineer
- Telecommunications System Engineer