Vacancy SMOS and STSE Scientific Consultant
Responsibilities of the Scientific Consultant
For STSE (Support to Science Element)
- Preparation of SoW and implementation of SMOS Ice II;
- Support to preparation and implementation of SMOS+ Permafrost (CCN);
- SMOS+ NN (3 month CCN).
- Preparation of SoW for SMOS+ Storms follow-on (TO: DF);
- Support SOLAS (OceanFlux Upwelling) follow on activity;
- Support management of relevant (ocean/SMOS related) STSE Pathfinders (2/3 small feasibilities).
- Complete SMOS T/S diagrams internal project;
- Maintain support to SMOS water cycle internal project;
- Complete SMOS SVR internal project.
- Maintain the coordination of projects and activities for The Changing Earth SciNET;
- Support to the preparation of the next call for proposals in collaboration with CCI for The Changing Earth SciNET;
- Prepare new Springer Briefs volume dedicated to the second call for The Changing Earth SciNET ;
- Prepare updated brochure for the three calls;
- Update the web with the The Changing Earth SciNET results and the new projects.
- Support the scientific exploitation studies for the SMOS mission. This includes the contract with ECMWF on data assimilation.
- Support the preparation of SMOS publications and presentations.
- Support the implementation of new scientific studies related to the SMOS mission.
- Support the analysis of SVRT results obtained over oceans and Dome-C.
- Support future work on the SMOS L2 ocean salinity processor.
Profile of the Scientific Consultant
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience in scientific support of earth observation missions
- Master’s degree in a relevant scientific field
- Knowledge on remote sensing principles, retrieval techniques, error assessment, data assimilation and data processing principles
- Experienced in assisting with the creation of scientific content and writing articles in this field
- Strong knowledge and experience of programmatic principles and project management, particularly in multidisciplinary environments
- Strong knowledge of tendering procedures
- Fluent in English; Knowledge of another European language is an asset.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU.