Vacancy Project Control Engineer for Space Surveillance and Tracking
The European Commission is responsible for achieving the objectives of the European Space Policy and Programmes, for their management and organisation and their timely and cost-effective execution. This includes budget and schedule, establishment of main priorities and the critical path for the programme achievement.
In addition, the European Commission is responsible for extensive reporting towards the European Parliament, Council of the EU and Programme Committees on how the objectives of the European Space Policy and Programmes were achieved.
Sapienza is looking for two project controllers with a space background to support the European Commission in Space Surveillance and Tracking programmes
Responsibilities of the Project Control Engineer
- Analyse the applicability of existing standards in space project management (in particular the standards of the European Cooperation for Space Standardization, as well as other relevant project management standards), focusing on the aspects of planning, costs, schedule, performance and risk management;
- Define suitable project management systems and techniques for the Programmes based on the existing standards, tailored to the needs of the Programmes. These will inter alia include:
- defining performance indicators for the Programmes in addition to the ones already included for example in the new GNSS Regulation8;
- defining early warning tools for schedule, cost or performance drifts;
- Support the Commission in the application of these management systems and techniques, including development of templates and formats for different types of reporting on the basis of the project management standards;
- Evaluate project management systems and techniques implementation (including the performance indicators) and propose recommendations for improvement;
- Assist in establishing and reviewing work breakdown structures, project schedules and budget planning.
- Help compile data for the key performance indicators.
- Assist in drafting the annual and quarterly reports, in particular by assessing the completion of programmatic priorities, including those defined in the annual work programme and on the basis of the management systems and techniques (notably indicators) developed, etc.
- Support the redaction of ad-hoc reports for internal or external distribution.
Profile of the Project Controller
- University degree (master) or equivalent qualification in relevant engineering field;
- At least 8 years of previous relevant in program / project control, with a majority in space domains;
- Experience within Space Surveillance and Tracking will be considered a strong asset
- Candidates are expected to demonstrate excellent planning and organisation skills, attention to detail and be able to work effectively in a team environment
- They must possess good judgment, integrity and good communications skills
- Excellent knowledge of English, additional knowledge of another ESA member state language is desirable.
- EU Secret level security clearance is required for this position.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU.